There are a good number of Nigerian university courses that are related to biology. In Nigeria Secondary schools, biology is a very important subject for science students. But, If you failed in getting credit in Biology, or seriously have worries that you might not get admission into the university, you are not alone. There are a good number of Nigerian University aspirants that have the same challenge.
Of recent, biology has turned out to be a difficult subject to pass O-level exams like WAEC, NECO, and GCE. So in the course of this write-up, we would be looking at the complete list of courses that can be offered in Nigerian higher institutions without Biology been a prerequisite.
List of Courses that you can study in Nigerian universities without Biology as a Prerequisite
- Software Engineering
- Aeronautic Engineering
- Natural Gas Engineering
- Marine Engineering
- Metallurgical and Materials
- Chemical Engineering
- Systems Engineering
- Urban and Regional Planning
- Computer Science
- Pure and Applied Mathematics
- Industrial Mathematics
- Industrial Chemistry
- Applied Physics
- Mathematics Economics
- Mechanical Engineering
- Petroleum Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Structural Engineering
- Petrochemical Engineering
- Quantity Surveying
- Communication and Wireless Technology
- Engineering Physics
- Operations Research
- Telecommunication Sciences
- Telecommunication Management
- Management Information System
- Geological Sciences(Optional)
- Applied Geology(Optional)
- Geology and Mining(Optional) Mathematics science
- Computer science and Informatic
- Information Technology
- Data Management
- Information Science and Media studies
- Library Information Science
- Communications Technology
- Telecommunication and Wireless Technology
- Cybersecurity services
- Geography (Optional)
- Environmental Management(Optional)
- Building Technology (Optional)
- Mathematics with Computer Science
With these above-listed courses, one can actually pursue a bachelor’s degree without having to worry about the enigma of passing biology in any entrance examinations.
Is Biology Really Compulsory subject?
If would like to proceed into studying the above-listed courses that do not require biology, then you have to at least have an E8 in your WAEC for the aforementioned subject. What I am implying is that you do not need to score a C6 or any grade less than C6.
Sometimes, it might be because the prospective student failed biology in his/her O-level exams. It could also be that they did not write Biology in their Joint Admission and Matriculation Board exam.
In essence, what I am saying, is that any student that wants to offer a science-related degree should have a minimum credit score, otherwise have a simple pass or fail grade(E8, D7, or F9).
What about studying Courses that are Related to biology?
While most Nigerian secondary school students scale through in biology in their O-level exams, some others see it as a thorn in the flesh.
Let’s now shift our focus to other informative details like; a list of biology-related courses that one can do in Nigerian universities, engineering courses that have a strong correlation with biology, and finally, Jobs that are available in the Job market for such graduates.
Detailed list of University courses related to biology
- Biochemistry (Honors).
- Bioinformatics (Honors).
- Biochemistry and Agricultural Chemistry.
- Environmental Science (Honors).
- Environmental Science and Water Management.
- Environmental Management.
- Home Science.
- Home Science & Nutrition.
- Medical Biochemistry.
- Advanced Zoology and Biotechnology.
- Veterinary Science in Veterinary Anatomy and Histology.
- Veterinary Science in Veterinary Microbiology.
- Veterinary Medicine.
- Technology in Bioengineering.
- Technology in Bioinformatics.
- Technology in Biotechnology.
- Medicine and Surgery
- Aquaculture and Fishery Microbiology.
- Zoology and Animal Biotechnology.
- Molecular Biology.
- Bachelor of Science in Botany.
- BSC in Biology
- BSC in Biological Science
- BSC in Biological Science (Honors)
- Biomedical Sciences (Honors)
- Biosciences (Honors)
- Bioinformatics (Integrated).
- Veterinary Science in Animal Genetics and Breeding.
- Veterinary Science in Animal Nutrition.
- Veterinary Science in Animal Production and Management.
Engineering University Degrees that are very much related to Biology
- Food technologists
- Research Scientists in the food technology industry
- Genetic engineering Biomedical Engineering
- Genetic Engineering
- Food Technology
- Molecular Biology
- Applied Biology
- Industrial Microbiology
- Micro-Biology and Immunology Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Pharmaceutical Engineering.
- Biomedical engineering
- Public Health Entomology
- Applied Botany.
Jobs in the labor market that are available for graduates of biology related courses
- Plant Biochemist
- Weed Scientist
- Forest Ranger
- Farming Consultant
- Molecular Biologist
- Plant Explorer
- Biological Technician
- Agricultural Scientist, etc
If you think this post can be helpful to somebody else, please share it on Twitter, Facebook, G+, Whatsapp or Email it to friends. There are buttons below for this (easy to use too)!